Terra cotta diffusers are a simple and effective way to use essential oils, and to boost your wellness. Diffusers disperse oils without heating them so they retain their therapeutic benefits. When inhaled, the oils are easily absorbed through the lungs. They can be hung on doorknobs, light fixtures, bedposts, or anywhere… I enjoy keeping one in my car!
LifeRoots Counselling Services is going to be the Awaken Whole Health Expo today, and I figured, what better sway item than a DIY essential oil necklace, so you can make your very own essential oil diffusers! To save a tree, I am posting the how-to instructions here:
Your DIY kit includes a hemp necklace, 2 decorative beads and a terra cotta clay pendant (the pendant has already been lovingly hand-shaped and stamped with a pretty design for you, by yours truly). clay has already air dried and is ready to string on the hemp, making assembly of the diffuser necklace is pretty straight forward. You can string the pendant and beads onto the string to your liking I prefer to fold the string in half, and put the loop through the pendant hole… like in the picture.
Now, we get to the fun part… using the diffuser. When applying the essential oil to your terra cotta pendant, ornament, or other piece lay it down flat on a table and drip one drop onto the top (front) of the clay. As long as the oil is completely absorbed it will not stain clothing when worn, so make sure the oil is fully absorbed into the terra cotta prior to use.
When a drop of essential oil is dripped onto the surface of the terra cotta, it is absorbed into the tiny pores of the clay. The oil then slowly evaporates (diffuses) putting a delicious scent in the air. One drop is usually all that is needed at a time and it will last a few days, as this small amount will saturate into the piece. Once the terra cotta diffuser no longer gives off the desired scent, refresh the scent by adding another drop of oil to the surface of the clay. For the strongest scent, and greatest therapeutic benefit, add one drop per day.
If you want to change the oil that is on the diffuser, wait until most of the original scent has evaporated away (usually 2 or 3 days). Then apply the next one. Some scents blend nicely with each other so that applying a second oil on top of the first will work fine. Please note that it is best to restrict the oils to singles or blends without carrier oils. Carrier oils will not evaporate rapidly, may give the terra cotta an oily stained look, and may clog the pores of the clay.
Curious about the benefits of essential oils, and which ones to choose for your pendant? Here are options:
- Relaxation & Sleep. Oils such as chamomile, lavender, and clary sage can help you unwind at the end of a hard day.
- Elevate your mood. Want to de-stress, feel energized or set a mood for a gathering? I recommend experimenting with sweet orange, jasmine, rose, scotch pine, sandalwood, vanilla!
- Health. Essential oils including tea tree, sage, rosemary, grapefruit, lemon, thyme can be anti-microbial, help boost the immune system, act as humidifiers and hormones.
- Breathe easy. Interested in reducing inflammation and congestion in clogged airways to help you breathe more easily? Try peppermint, rosemary, lemon or eucalyptus.
- Pain relief. Ginger, chamomile, lavender, eucalyptus, clary sage, rosemary and bergamot are options to help with headaches, sore joints, and overworked muscles.
- Repel insects. A safer alternative to traditional “bug-spray”, use clove, lemongrass, rosemary, or cedarwood to repel pesky bugs!
- Stay cool with peppermint, eucalyptus, spearmint, or wintergreen oils.