TERMS OF SERVICE FOR ONLINE COUNSELLING
Please read carefully. The Terms of service has important information on rights, obligations, limitations, exclusion and limitations of liability that may apply to the Client.
“Provider” is referred to as Lindsay Redman, Registered Psychologist (R.Psych)
“Online session(s)” is referred to as the appointment with Provider
“Client” is referred to as the person receiving online session(s)
“Terms” is the Terms of Service for Online session(s)
Access to Online session(s) with Provider, is based on the Client’s acceptance of, and compliance with, these Terms. By accessing Online session(s) you agree to be bound by these Terms and accept all legal consequences
Lindsay Redman offers a variety of Online session(s) including online video counselling and instant messaging for those who are experiencing issues related to but not limited to anxiety, depression, body image, stress, and adjustment-related issues. The Client must either be a resident of Alberta and must be a minimum of 18 years of age.
Confidentiality & Informed Consent
Online session(s) are considered private and confidential. Personal health information will not be shared without your informed, written consent except where required by law. It is the Client’s responsibility to use private and secure places for Online session(s). It is not recommended that Client use Wi-Fi hotspots in public as they may not be secure.
The Provider may breach confidentiality under certain situations. See below for reasons of breaching confidentiality:
- If required by law to do so, such as if there is a court order requesting information
- If the Client is at risk of harming themselves (e.g. suicide) or others (e.g. homicide, assault, driving when impaired)
- If a child (anyone under the age of 18 years old if you are from Alberta or 19 years old if your are from BC) or vulnerable adult (e.g. persons with disability, dependent adult or senior) is at risk or is suspected of being harmed. The Provider has a legal duty to report this to the proper authorities
- If there is a risk to public safety
- If the Provider is required to defend against a complaint filed with the College of Alberta Psychologists or the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association
The Client has the right at any time to withhold or revoke consent without judgment.
Crisis and Emergencies
Online session(s) are not be used for crisis or emergencies. If the Client is experiencing a crisis or emergency such as a medical or mental health problem please contact 911 or head to your local emergency room. These services may also be of benefit:
- Crisis Centres throughout Canada: https://suicideprevention.ca/need-help/
- Local Crisis Numbers in Alberta: https://suicideprevention.ca/alberta-crisis-centres/
- Local Crisis Numbers in BC: https://www.crisislines.bc.ca/
Expectations & Alternatives
It is expected that the Client shall not use any mind-altering substances (e.g. Alcohol, Marijuana, Cocaine, etc) on the day of their Online session. The Provider may cancel the Online session if the Provider suspects the Client has used a mind-altering substance.
The Provider may also cancel the Online session(s) if the Provider determines in the Provider’s opinion that the Client’s behaviour and/or conduct for the Online session(s) is inappropriate.
The Provider may also offer alternative recommendations for counselling if either the Provider or Client believed the Online session(s) would not be beneficial to the Client.
The Provider and Client will create a treatment plan together and determine the number of sessions
The Client must provide accurate contact information. It is the Client’s responsibility to let the provider know if there is any reason why a message cannot be left when attempting to contact the Client.
Security and Electronic Communications
Safeguards have been put in place on this website. Lindsay Redman uses a secure portal for video counselling and secure messaging powered by Doxy.me OnCall Health is compliant with privacy laws and uses Canadian servers.
Lindsay Redman will use reasonable means to protect the security and confidentiality of electronic information sent and received. However, the Provider cannot guarantee the security and confidentiality of electronic communications and will not be liable for improper disclosure of confidential information. When the Client electronically accepts the Terms, consent to the use of electronic communication is included and the Client agrees to the following conditions:
- Using electronic communication can increase the risk of confidentiality information being disclosed to third parties.
- It is not possible to completely secure information even when reasonable efforts and safeguards are in place.
- Malware can be introduced when using electronic communication and can potentially damage computers, networks, and security settings.
- Confidential information could be potentially forwarded, intercepted, circulated, stored and/or changed without the knowledge or permission of MeHealing Ltd or the Client
- Deleted copies of electronic communication may continue to exist as back-up copies on computer systems
- Electronic communications can be disclosed when court ordered to be released or if there is a legal duty to report.
- Encrypted software is used; however, Video counselling may be open to interception due to lack of user end security and use of Wi-Fi.
- With email counselling there are additional risks:
- Email can more easily be misdirected, resulting in increased risk of being received by the unintended person.
- It is impossible to completely ensure the recipient can read the message once it’s been sent
- The Provider will not knowingly forward electronic communications to third parties, including family members, without client’s written consent, except when required to release information by the law
- Some electronic communications may not be for therapeutic use. Some electronic communication may be educational, information or for entertainment purposes
- The Client will inform the Provider in writing of any types of information the client does not want sent via electronically.
- The Provider is not responsible for information loss due to technical problems associated with the Client’s electronic devices, software or internet service provider.
- All responsibility or liability for any damages caused by viruses contained within the electronic communication is disclaimed
Prior to starting online sessions, the client is asked to complete an online intake form.
You agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless Lindsay Redman from any claim or demand, including reasonable attorneys’ fee, made by any third-party due to or arising out of the Client’s breach of these Terms.
Client Acknowledgment and Agreement
By agreeing to these Terms of Service, the Client acknowledges that he or she has read and fully understands the Terms of service and acknowledges to be bound by the provisions herein.